Seeking a Self-Esteem Specialist

Sharon Fountain

January 19th, 2015

I’m ready to talk to a specialist about my lifelong battle with low self-esteem, where do I start?

Congratulations on being ready to take this step! It’s not always easy to reach out for help. Everyone lacks self-esteem occasionally, including our community of people impacted by acne scars. When low self-esteem is persistent and affects your daily life it’s important to seek professional support. Talking to a specialist can help you learn how to deal with feelings of low self-esteem and help you develop tools to overcome those negative emotions.

A great place to start is Psychology Today‘s online Find a Therapist tool. The tool allows you to enter your zip code for a professional listing of psychologists, psychiatrists, therapists, counselors and group therapy meetings in your area. You can sort through the list by price, insurance accepted, treatment orientation, gender, and specialty to help ensure that whomever you choose will be a good fit.

If you’re working for an organization that has an employee assistance program (EAP), it’s likely they have a free counseling component you can access. EAP programs are also confidential, so your privacy will be protected.

If you are still in school, many campuses offer counseling services free of charge. Visit the website associated with your school’s health center or give them a call. In all likelihood, there will be someone willing to help you set up an appointment right away.

Please consult with a physician to better understand other options that may be available to you.


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.